Thursday, January 14, 2010

dark moon, radiant sprites



Tonight the moon will eclipse and the Sabian Symbol for the moment (11:11pm here on the west coast) is "Radiant sprite dances upon the mist of a waterfall (each degree of the wheel has a symbol channeled by a person in 1925. weird and amazing.
here is more.)
I am absolutely staying up past my bedtime (a very reasonable one for a grandma) to go out and make an essence in the garden tonight and bathe all my special rocks in this dark moon.
This moon seems to be about remembering the spritely selves we carry in our bodies which are often subdued by city living and work and getting older and eating crappy food and it reminds us to remember to see the invisible.

The kids I teach often ask me if I've ever seen real fairies and as their teacher, ie authority figure, I have to model good magical things, so I reply, "Of course, all the time." The truth is that while I have had a multiple experiences as an adult with nature spirits (another story), they don't look like glitter-y lithe pointy ear-ed teenage ravers with wings at all.
This is much like when my students ask when they will learn to ride broomsticks in my class, to which I say, "Graduate School, " which actually IS true, because by then, if they have retained any shred of what I have taught them, they will know that they can fly if they keep practicing.
This is a tricky thing- the importance of feeding the imagination with fairy tales and magic stories that open one's mind to new possibilities (even things like harry potter which I personally can't stand, but here is why starhawk loves it)... but then it's essential to release one's expectations about what it will be like based on what other people said. We are so dependent on the media and our easy access to knowing and seeing everything in a second, we forget what it's like to wonder or not know or figure something out yourself. I have one student who told me last week that she actually saw the tooth fairy this time when she put her tooth under her pillow. Guess what? She said she looked exactly like ME! I can't believe the tooth fairy has a big ol' gap tooth- you'd think she have better access to orthodontia.


Tonight under the dark moon, I will also do some earth acupuncture that I learned this summer and send it to Haiti. Here's how you do it, if you too want to send some healing to the people of Haiti: find a good spot on the ground (this involves dowsing, but you can also just feel what spot feels right, like a power point) and slide a special twig, stick, needle, or rock into the spot. I am going to drop some Crisis essences onto the stick and ask the healing to travel along the earth's meridians to Haiti. While this is a natural disaster, it's clear that the devastation is totally exacerbated by the United States' unjust policies that continue to impoverish and disenfranchise the Haitian people.
Tonight I send my prayers out to the dark moon, to the eclipse, which carries the energy of releasing and renewing. May all the beings in Haiti- the babies, grandmas and grandpas, beloved pets, children, travelers, their relatives all over the world , and the workers of good find safety and healing. May they all have clean water to drink, nourishing food to warm and comfort them, and may they have all the medical care and support they need to grieve, to heal and to restore their homes.
Blessed be.



No comments: